Monday, August 31, 2009

A new series: My Hill Country Assurances Part 1

by Terry Thornton

email: hillcountrymonroecounty@gmail.com

My Hill Country Assurances is a continuing series in which I will present information about self, family, and ancestors. Using the pHOGS approach (photographs, History, Observations, Genealogy, and Stories) I will attempt to explore some of my history and that of my family. Part 1 lists all I am attempting to do with the series and then proceeds to give some of my early life history from my birth to seventeen years when I left Parham for the Army and then offers a brief look at my life through the 1960s.

My Hill County Assurances

  • will take a look at events, persons, and activities which gave me the confidence, audacity, and composure to attempt such a series of articles;
  • will examine some of the individuals, institutions and experiences which shaped and influenced my beliefs and faith;
  • will attempt to present information which will serve as collateral evidence to explain my effrontery, egotism, and determination;
  • will present information to provide alibis when needed or to give credence to my life history;
  • will collectively present information which explains why, even after seventy years of living, I still have a deep dependence upon and a huge appreciation for the Hill Country.


In this series perhaps I will find a explanation for "me" by looking at all of the assurances from my Hill Country experiences.

And I shall start by establishing the fact that I recently celebrated my 70th birthday. I suppose this event (which I celebrated with so much fun) actually means that I have now officially reached "old age." And with my advanced age I know I am required to start acting the part --- and perhaps even speaking with great authority on subjects large and small whether I have any real knowledge of them nonewithstanding.

Does being seventy mean I have to "act" seventy? Click here to read the rest of this article and to view the two photographs . .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from readers are encouraged and welcomed. Anonymous comments, however,will not be published so be sure to include you name and city/state.